Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women. In 2013, an estimated 232,340 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, while 64,640 will be diagnosed with non-invasive breast cancer. With early detection and treatment, women can fight back against breast cancer.
Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Here Are Your Treatment Options
- Breast-conserving surgery and radiation therapy. An operation to remove the breast cancer, but not the breast itself.
- Total mastectomy. The entire breast is removed. Many celebrities, including Angelina Jolie, Christina Applegate, Kathy Bates and Sharon Osbourne, have spoken out about their choice to receive a double mastectomy.
You Are Not Alone in Your Fight Against Breast Cancer
Receiving a diagnosis of breast cancer can be overwhelming. Hearing the perspective of others who have survived cancer can give you a better perspective on treatment and survival. Here are a few quotes from famous faces who won the battle against breast cancer:
- “Having had cancer, one important thing to know is you’re still the same person at the end…most people come out the other end feeling more like themselves than ever before.” -Kylie Minogue
- “I look at my cancer journey as a gift: It made me slow down and realize the important things in life and taught me to not sweat the small stuff.” – Olivia Newton-John
- “Cancer gave me the gift of being fearless.”- Today show co-host Hoda Kotb
- “I was diagnosed with breast cancer two months ago and am recovering from a double mastectomy. I don’t miss my breasts as much as I miss Harry’s Law.” – Kathy Bates
What Can I Do To Show My Support in the Fight Against Breast Cancer?
“With over 3 million women battling breast cancer today, everywhere you turn there is a mother, daughter, sister, or friend who has been affected by breast cancer.” -Betsey Johnson
Even if you don’t suffer from breast cancer, you most likely know someone who is. Show your support by:
- Donating to charities
- Participating in walks and races that give proceeds to breast cancer foundations. Some of the most popular races include the Race for the Cure, Three-Day Walk for Breast Cancer and “Tour De Pink.”
Do your part in the fight against breast cancer.